Here I am 15 Days into Project 50 Pan and I am so proud to report that I have not made one single beauty purchase! Even I thought I would have slipped up by now. As much as I have been tempted to shop I keep willing myself not to because I do not want to have to admit that I have failed to you guys and all my Family and Friends who are watching me attempt this! I know a few of my Family and Friends are waiting for me to fail with baited breath! It's not easy though, in fact it is so much more challenging than you would think.
It's time for me to be real here people and as I am all about sharing I think it is only fair that I make a few confessions.
I have raided my big beauty closet (aka a 4 door built in floor to ceiling wardrobe) in search of any products that were half empty or almost finished. I have removed all of them and started using them like a mad woman in a desperate and somewhat pathetic attempt to finish them.
I saw my Mum had finished a hair product and sneakily went through the rubbish looking for the packaging so I could pretend it was an empty of mine. Unfortunately she busted me and said that I was cheating!
I asked myself if one cotton bud was a full sized beauty product and if so could I just use 50 cotton buds and declare the task a complete success?
I have been burning 5 candles at once trying to get rid of them. I am trying to stick to the same scent family but desperate times call for desperate measures right?
I have never successfully completed a task anything like this before. It is kind of gut wrenching to think of all the hardship going on in other parts of the world and even here in Australia and here I am worrying about not being able to buy beauty products because I am on a self imposed ban! Something I am realising though is we live such a privileged existence and I shamefully admit I kind of like it! I never realised how much money I spend on beauty goods and how I gravitate towards the beauty counters, toiletry sections and cosmetics departments of stores. It's like waving a red flag at a bull when I enter a store.
Here is a picture of my empties so far:
1. Nak Aromas Shampoo with Argan Oil - This is a good general shampoo that I have repurchased many times. It has the added benefits of argan oil and it leaves my baby fine hair soft and hydrated. It retails for around $18 for 250ml and is available at Price Attack, wholesalers and various salons and online stores.
2. Lush Oatfix Fresh Face Mask - This mask is another product I constantly repurchase. It is made with Oats, Bananas, Crushed Almonds and Vanilla and is designed for dry or sensitive skin. I like to use this mask if my skin is looking a bit dehydrated and dull. It leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated. This Mask has a limited shelf life of around 3 weeks and must be kept refrigerated. It costs around $16 for 75g and is available at Lush Stores as well as online at www.lush.com.au
3. Wotnot Face Wipes - I was initially put on to these wipes by my friend Anissa over at www.beautifullyglossy.blogspot.com The appealing thing about these wipes is that they are all natural with no added nasty ingredients. They are great at removing makeup and taking the day off. The one thing I did find with these wipes is that the essential oils in them did irritate my sensitive eyes a little bit. Wotnot Wipes retail for around $15 for 25 wipes.
4. Lydia Jordane Eye Lifting Cream - I have loved this eye cream for many years now. My eyes are very sensitive and this eye cream doesn't irritate them at all. I could never be without this in my skin care routine even though I use other eye creams this is the old faithful I always end up coming back to. It contains lots of beautiful ingredients including Yeast Beta Glucan, Hyaluronic Acid, Vegetable Ceramides, Phyto Ceramide, Rosehip Oil and Evening Primrose Oil. It retails for around $56 for 15ml. It can be purchased via professional beauty salons and online.
5. The Body Shop Earth Lovers Watermelon and Eucalyptus Shower Gel - I love the Earth Lovers Shower Gels from The Body Shop. They smell amazing and are also free from Sulphates, Parabens and Colourants. They cost $14.95 for 250ml and are available at The Body Shop or www.thebodyshop.com.au
6. Beauty and The Bees Rosewater Toning Mist - Beauty and The Bees is a Tasmanian owned company that makes natural products free of sulphates and nasty chemicals. The Rosewater Toning Mist smells absolutely gorgeous. It is without doubt my favourite rosewater that I have ever tried. It costs $19.95 for 100ml and is available at www.beebeauty.com
7. Lush Twilight Shower Gel - This lavender scented shower gel was a limited edition product from Lush for Halloween last year. It is not currently available but I am hoping that Lush will bring this back this year for Halloween. It is lavender scented but not in an old lady stinky kind of way. It almost has a candied sweet scent to it probably because of the tonka note in it. I have loved using this product especially in the evening before bed.
8. Alpha H Phase 1 Wash- This wash has been renamed Clear Skin Daily Face Wash. It retails for around $34 for 100mls of product. This face wash was recommended to me by a friend when I was experiencing constant small breakouts around my chin. It contains Eucalyptus and Tea Tree to heal, calm and soothe the skin and help control excess sebum. It is designed to prevent future breakouts.
When I first started using this product I noticed within a week my breakouts were healing and my skin was calmer in general. This face wash is designed for people aged 12-40 with oily skin types.
I have a few more empties but have decided to hold them over until my next Project 50 Pan update. Are any of you attempting your own no buy or use up project at the moment? If so how are you going?
Note: I am not sponsored by any of the above mentioned brands or companies. All products were purchased with my own money and all opinions are entirely my own.